– Network Engineer
LinkedIn | Verify Me or Encrypt Stuff: Public Key OR Keybase
Playa Vista, Los Angeles, CA | 509-205-1673 | john at this domain
Cisco certified with fifteen years’ experience and an exceptional ability to bring creative solutions to deep problems. Ability to build and maintain user-friendly networks of any size. Strong background in a variety of programming languages and technologies. Seeking the opportunity to be an asset to a company and fellow coworkers. Able to achieve Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) Routing and Switching or Service Provider certifications on relatively short notice if required.
- Knowledgeable of routing and switching, the OSI model (but remember TCP/IP is based on the 4-layer DoD model), TCP/IP, and Cisco networks
- Experience with a variety of Routing & Switching protocols including OSPF, EIGRP, RIP, BGP, VPNs, MPLS, VLANs, etherchannel LAGs, and VTP
- Capable of training other employees in use of networks and software
- In-depth understanding of multiple operating systems (Linux, Windows, OSX)
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
Senior Network Engineer, Walt Disney MPP; Burbank, CA — 2019-Present
- Just getting started here!
- Certified Meraki Network Operator (Don’t laugh, we’ve got a bunch of remote sites, Meraki isn’t a terrible choice).
- Getting started moving into Azure, deploying Data Boxes, ExpressRoutes, etc.
- Interact with a large number of vendors and internal divisions
Network Engineer, Sohonet, inc; Los Angeles, CA — 2017-2019
- Spearheaded testing interoperability of Juniper and Brocade devices for core and aggregation use
- Handled US BGP peering requests at Internet Exchanges as well as peerings with Apple, Google, Amazon, and others — designed and implemented customer BGP solutions in multi-site and multi-circuit scenarios
- Assembled customer MPLS solutions for L3VPN, VLL/EoMPLS/VPWS/pseudowire, and VPLS/l2vpns
- Worked on and set costs for large OSPF-based network with thousands of routes
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining CWDM/DWDM and wavelength physical infrastructure and logical circuits across 4 continents and dozens of POPs
- Provided level 2 and level 3 customer support to international media companies
- Deployed and managed dozens of firewalls and SSLVPNs between Palo Alto, Juniper SRX, Netscreen SSG, Fortinet Fortigate
- Mentored other engineers on BGP, MPLS, and optical network design and solutions
Network Engineer, Website Management Systems; Las Vegas, NV — 2016–2017
- Decreased telephone costs by nearly 50% by switching from traditional PRI-based phone system to VoIP
- Delivered excellent voice call quality through QoS with LLQ with DSCP tagging from Cisco compatible phones and Cisco Catalyst switches
- Increased network reliability to 99.99% by architecting a Cisco network with redundant VLAN trunks using EtherChannel LAGs: switch-switch and switch-server
- Optimized network routing by deploying OSPF to reduce man-hours previously involved in static routing
- Reduced costs further by negotiating contracts with internet service providers
- Maximized server availability to nearly 100% by deploying in-house OpenStack Cloud
- Improved data redundancy of all files with a Ceph cluster
Photographer, Hyak Photography; Kennewick, WA — 2010–2016
- Awarded Silver Award of Excellence from Wedding and Portrait Photographers International – Awarded to approximately 1,000 photographers worldwide in previous 25 years
- Managed AWS infrastructure and full-stack development to deliver terabytes of photos to clients and editors.
- Optimized networks and IT infrastructure for dozens of companies on time and under budget
- Delivered WIFI access to medium sized condominiums
- Increased volunteer support for NGOs by deploying WIFI networking between campuses and dorms in Tanzania, East Africa.
- Maximized employee capabilities and reduced costs by deploying VoIP phone system to allow call center employees to work from home
- Consistently delivered solutions for customers that other consulting firms were unable to provide
- Deployed scalable networks, managed servers
- Full stack development for both internal use and client sites. HTML, CSS, Perl, and Python.
Network Engineer, Metrotime; Ft Worth, TX — 2002–2003
- Generated additional revenue for the company by increasing product offerings
- Worked with a small team deploying local and large-scale wireless networks
System Administrator, 5GuysTech LLC; Poulsbo, WA — 1998-2002
- Designed and installed network in renovated building
- Administered RedHat and Debian Linux servers
- Responsible for administration, set up, and automation of all IT infrastructure
Co-Founder, PowerSurge Tech; Cedar Rapids, IA — 1995-1997
- Software developer and system administrator. Developed one of the first free transparent pixel web analytics packages. Initially brought on board for automation of BIND DNS set up.
- Delivered decreased costs and increased offerings by introducing Red Hat Linux in addition to Windows NT servers
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
Routing & Switching
Columbia Basin College; Pasco, WA
Associates of Arts and Sciences — 2006